Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2011 Sullivan Family Round Up

Welcome to the 2nd Annual Sullivan Family Round Up-our answer to the annual family news letter. All you ever wanted to know (and probably some you didn’t) about 2011 for the Sullivan Clan.

Last year at this time I was on active duty (paying for our trip to Disney World according to Danny) and Farrell was in Afghanistan fighting evil. This year I am typing as our family of six sits around the fire watching Christmas movies, playing cards, drinking coco while on our Christmas ski vacation. How did we get here from there? Let’s round it up!

Last winter we sloshed through Farrell’s deployment by having plenty of help from friends and family. My parents came to North Carolina from Virginia every other weekend to help re-charge my batteries. Sue came home from California at the end of March and helped me get ready for dash four.

Spring came and so did Farrell Joseph Sullivan, Jr. On April 15th, 2011 when most people were mailing their taxes I was in the delivery room getting prepped. Farrell was thousands of miles away but connected to the delivery room with email from my delivery partner and friend Sarah. Mighty Joe came in just under ten pounds and has been truly mighty ever since.

Farrell came home in May after an incredibly successful deployment to Afghanistan with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit as the Battalion Commander of 3rd Battalion 8th Marines. We are so proud of him and his men who saved countless American and Afghan lives by helping protect and build a much needed road network in the Helmand Province. We were amazed by the strength of the families back home. I was especially inspired and humbled by the youngest of ladies with multiple children who kept things together while their husbands were on foot patrol on a daily basis in the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan. Being part of the 3/8 family was life changing.

The summer brought transition (and a trip to Disney World): Farrell to a new job, Peter from first to second grade, Brendan from sweet baby to terrific two, and our family from North Carolina to Virginia. In between we found as many opportunities as possible to enjoy friends, family and the beach (while it was still just down the street). We will miss being close to Sue and our dearly treasured neighborhood friends.

During the fall we settled down. Both boys settled in nicely and love their new school (Garrisonville Gators).  Danny loves his very first year as a "Kindergator" and I enjoy volunteering in the classroom and working with the PTO. Farrell has slowed his pace and enjoys student life. The Littles have settled into a new routine and like their alone time during the day.

The boys love Virginia sports. The Biggies enjoyed soccer during the fall (and Farrell got to coach Peter!) and have now transitioned to wrestling. Brendan has started his athletic “career” and now takes mom and tot gymnastics. Mighty Joe gets his exercise in by keeping up with his big brothers.

I have to admit I love Virginia. Virginia is my home. Farrell and I have been able to travel to Charlottesville and check out retirement property (many years down the road!) We have spent two holidays this fall camping in the mountains and our ski trip took us only two hours of travel. My parents are right down the street and we have been able to see more of our favorite friends.

Winter is here and I am reminded why Christmas is my favorite time of the year. And although I love non-stop Christmas music and both traditional and tacky decorations, I take one look at my beautiful family and I am reminded of His gifts of joy, love, hope, and faith. My blessings are so many and so great I feel my heart and eyes swell. Thank you for your friendship, thoughts and prayers all of which made our 2011 so special. May you and yours be ever so blessed in 2012. Merry Christmas.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment