Saturday, December 1, 2012
Advent is here...time for preparation...
After a wonderful time in North Carolina for Thanksgiving, we drove straight home to start the preparations for Christmas. This is my favorite time of year. While we are filled with the excitement and expectant joy of Christmas, our feelings are tempered with reflection and repentance. It's my favorite time of year because you can see most people living and practicing the spirit of charity. Even in the hustle and bustle of Black Friday and long lines at the mall, you see giving, sharing, and thoughtfulness. I can't help but feel happy and blessed. I am also reminded of how much more I can choose to give to the world and am inspired to live better and give more. I also love Christmas decorations....
We had a tradition of rotating through the boys to place the star on top of the tree...however, this tradition was started when we had only two boys really old enough to do it. When we realized once every four years one of the boys would get the chance was too long to wait, we called an audible. Everyone would get the chance to put it on the tree and then Farrell and I would do the honors at the end. The boys thought that was great. There were particularly excited when they realized next year Joey will be old enough to join in the fun.
It was great getting out the ornaments. I used to love the color coordinated trees with pretty ribbon and crystal figurines. Now I love the homemade ornaments that are unmistakeably hand made. I love the picture ornaments that tell the story of our family and of how quickly the boys grow. I love that it doesn't match and looks kind of goofy. I especially love the thrill the boys have pulling the ornaments out one by one and telling their own stories. I dare say it is magical...
Yes, my favorite time of year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment