Tuesday, June 18, 2013

GSV D+3, The Climb







Dowa Yalanee-The Corn Mountain.  This mountain is sacred ground for the Zuni.  It is where they lived from 1680-1692 trying to resist the influence of the Spaniards.  As a tribute to my late father George a long time resident of Zuni, my sisters and I met in Zuni and climbed the mountain.  I took Peter and Danny with us.  The rules were simple, no whining, no rides, and watch for rattlesnakes.  It took us nearly four and a half hours to climb up and down almost 4,000 feet.  It was a game changer for the kids.  I have rarely seen them as focused.  They were scared, challenged, tired, and elated!  They have found a new love for the outdoors.  They can't wait to climb it again and take their little brothers.  They also asked if we could hike the mountains in Virginia!  It was a wonderful way to show them Zuni.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I loved spending every minute with you all!! I can't wait for the next hike up! :)

    ReplyDelete